Embryo Disposition agreement
When attending to a fertility clinic, patients will be requested to provide information in terms of the National Heath Act 61 of 2003. This is applicable for any recipients and donors.It is of vital importance that a recipient (individual or couple) should provide their directives and intention with regards to the genetic material in an Embryo disposition agreement pertaining to the following:
- When an individual/couple pass away
- Whether the genetic material should be discarded or donated after the individual/couple reached a certain age
- If an individual or couple become incapacitated
- If a certain pre-agreed period of time has lapsed
- Should a couple separate/divorce
- Any disagreement regarding the use of the embryos or further fertility treatment
Obtain specialist legal advice on embryos in storage, or if you are contemplating to store embryos in the future.
Information in this article is not intended as legal advice and is only for informational purposes. Please seek legal guidance from Adele van der Walt before relying on this information to make any legal decisions.